3 x 20 min
For the cake batter:
- 2 sachets natural cake mix
- 140 g butter
- 300 ml water
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- Food colouring (blue, red, yellow)
For the cream:
- 350 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150 g sugar
- 150 ml Dalia
- 10 ml arrowroot
- 1 packet Skittles sweets
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C.
- Make a cake batter by mixing the natural cake mix with water and then the melted butter and the vanilla powder.
- Transfer 150 g batter into six separate bowls. Mix the colourings to make the colours: purple (3 blue to 2 magenta), blue (pure), green (3 yellow to 1 blue), yellow (pure), orange (3 yellow to 2 magenta), magenta (pure).
- Cook the cakes two at a time, keeping a close eye on them as cooking may alter their colour. Leave to cool on a rack.
- In a saucepan, mix the arrowroot, sugar, vanilla essence and cold Dalia. Thicken over a low heat. Leave to cool.
- Mix the butter in a food processor. Drizzle in the vanilla cream that you have just made to get a smooth cream.
- Assemble the rainbow cake, alternating layers of sponge with butter cream. Spread the butter cream over the outside of the cake and decorate with the Skittles.
Tip: be generous with the amounts of food colourings, especially those containing blue, as they fade during cooking.
2987 kj / 717 kcal